Employers often contact me asking how to find a good statistician, econometrician or forecaster for their organization. Students also ask me how to go about finding a job when they finish their degree. This post is for both groups, hopefully making it easier for them to pair up appropriately.
General online job sites such as seek or careerjet are ok, but job-seekers can find it hard to find the relevant openings because job titles are so varied. In the general area of statistics, a job can appear under the titles “statistician”, “analyst”, “data miner”, “data manager”, “financial engineer” and a few dozen other labels. Many employers don’t place the job in the best category, often because they don’t understand what skills are required to do the job. Nevertheless, if I was looking for a job, I would certainly set up some automated searches on these sites.
In statistics, there are well-established job websites that are the best places for both employers and potential employees to meet up.
- Australia & New Zealand: careers.statsoc.org.au. This is a fantastic service from the Statistical Society of Australia and includes a lot of jobs, especially those requiring higher degrees.
- Melbourne Data Science Meetup has a job board with local data science jobs.
- United States: ASA JobWeb. This is a similar service from the American Statistical Association for jobs in the USA.
- United Kingdom: RSS Jobs Board. The Royal Statistical Society offers a similar job board for the UK.
- Math jobs covers jobs in the mathematical sciences.
I do not know what is provided in other countries, but check with your national statistical association.
There are also e-mail lists and web forums that are widely subscribed and often contain job postings.
- Australia statistics jobs forum: SSA Forum
- Australia and New Zealand econometrics: ANZEcmet
- United Kingdom statistics: Allstat
- United Kingdom econometrics: Econometric-research (for research jobs)
- Machine Learning News includes posts about machine learning jobs.
If I’ve missed any good places to advertise jobs, please add them in the comments.comments powered by Disqus